Monday, February 13, 2017

Language (part one)



In class we've talked about how important language is and it's use. There is some language we use that indirectly imply things or apply harsh judgement unconsciously. We don't always realize the effect of or language. This applies to slurs, crude or swear words. I've grown up not swearing. Although my mother would stand at the top of the stairs screaming vulgar language down at my lazy brother, I was taught that that kind of language was bad. My friends would use the words that I taught not to use and I would hold on to what I was taught. I remember my freshmen year of high school I accidentally swore when reading something allowed and everyone gasped. No one could believe that I actually said it. As time has progressed, that has changed. Although my language isn't perfect anymore, I still believe that I should use it. I've always lived with the idea that I didn't want to offend or hurt anyone. I remember making this a mantra of mine years before people were complaining about "political correctness" and "everyone being offended by everything". Language has ways of hurting someone or offending them and I never wanted to put someone in that kind of place. Even indirectly. I want to be aware of things and be the best person I can possibly be. Sometimes when I'm in the shower I think about these kind of things and I found myself going on a rant about language the other day. My next post will be about me analyzing words - not just swear words but also slangs or words used for insults.

No comments:

Post a Comment