Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Gender Nonconformity

I read a scholarly article published in 2016 entitled "The Relationship Between Childhood Gender Nonconformity and Experiencing Diverse Types of Homophobic Violence" I read this a part of my research paper about Homophobia and Gender Stereotypes.

To me it was really disheartening to see how many people are victims to violence because of their differences or nonconformity to a type of person they want them to be. Everyone should be allowed to be who they are and all these ways to conform and expectations are very limiting to us and everyone else to be who they really are. I remember singing a song that was originally sung by a boy and my brothers teasing me about singing a boys song when I should sing a girls song. I remember liking the blue powerpuff girl the most but being mocked because blue was a blue color so I wasn't a girl if I liked the blue powerpuff girl - even if she was a girl herself. I liked something but was told no because it didn't fit into what was defined into what is meant for a boy or a girl. These limited my ability to like what I actually liked. How many people let these expectations become who they are? Do they like what they like because they were told to or do they really like it? That's a really blurred answer because so much of everything is controlled by such pressure to conform. I hate that so many people have to experience things like that and are limited because they must conform. I hate how those who don't conform experience violence in a variety of ways. We preach about letting everyone being themselves but we don't allow anyone to actually be that way. We tell our children that they are unique and special then mock those who are different by calling them "special snowflakes.
So which is it? What do you really believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment