Monday, March 6, 2017

My Car is a Boy

There are so many things surrounding us that's defined as for girls or for boys. We gender almost anything we can. We gender colors: pink, purple, yellow and orange are "girly" colors while blue, green, and red are "boyish" colors. We gender music: boy bands and pop music are for girls while rap and metal is for boys. Why are we gendering things that have no actual gender? People have genders. Colors and music were made with no gender. Another interesting aspect is how we also give sex to things. When talking about various feelings or objects, they are sometimes given female or male pronouns. A politician talking about The United States of America refers to the countries beauty as "her beauty" implying that the country is female. A man talking about his truck refers to "his strength" implying that his truck is male. My car is named Angry German Boy. I've assigned my car several human aspects that wasn't actually inherent to it. My guess is that we do this to humanize objects and it's fun to personify them in reality like how we do in stories.  Although, my point of this is showing how we gender ourselves and others and how it shouldn't be such a hard concept to grasp when people don't identify as the one assigned to birth. The maker of my car could've said it was a girl when made but I went and decided it was more of a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment